About the Trainer | Tuition & Registration | Training Includes | Who Should Attend | CEH | CEU
The Touch Therapy for Liddle Kidz® in Palliative & Hospice Care Training for massage therapists and other health care professionals provides educational and professional training to those who wish to enhance their skills to provide specialized care to children who are living in pediatric palliative and hospice care.
Through this training course, participants learn to provide pediatric massage and touch therapy for children with special health care needs, who have been hospitalized, have been diagnosed with a terminal illness and may be living under care of a pediatric palliative/hospice care program.
Today, we expect that with all of our medical treatment advances, children will outlive their parents. However, 53,000 children in the United States die every year from trauma, life threatening medical conditions, cancer, muscular dystrophy, cystic fibrosis, severe brain diagnoses, complications from prematurity, birth defects, rare disorders, congenital conditions, inheritable disorders, or acquired illness, among other conditions. (source: American Academy of Pediatrics/AAP)
For children, the causes of death are substantially different, compared to those that take the life of adults. This is why palliative care for adults and children differs. When it comes to a child living with a life-threatening or terminal medical condition, it is determined that they will benefit from palliative care, when no medical treatment has been shown to change their healthcare condition, in such a way that would alter their progression towards end-of-life.
The branch of pediatric palliative care is very specialized medical care that includes the control of pain, discomfort and other symptoms. As well as, addresses the psychological, social, or spiritual issues of children, and their families, living with life-threatening or terminal conditions.
Pediatric massage and touch therapy may be useful in relieving symptoms of the child's treatment and diagnosis. Many times massage therapy is used to help address pain and discomfort, ease fatigue, increase motility and address constipation, decrease feelings of nausea, decrease stress/anxiety and improve sleeping patterns.
As a healthcare provider wishing to use pediatric massage and touch therapy with children in palliative care, it is imperative that you have the unique understanding of the specific tactile needs of a young person who is medically fragile, and possibly progressing towards end of life. Using specialized skills and pediatric massage techniques, assists healthcare practitioners in providing safe and effective therapeutic practice.
Family-centered care is at the heart of pediatric palliative care. Effective massage programs are provided to address not just the child, but to also improve the quality-of-life for the entire family.
Family members can be taught gentle techniques, so they can have active role in their child's healthcare and treatment plan.
During this course learn more about being part of a family-centered care team, how pediatric massage and touch therapy can assist a child in palliative and hospice care, the best ways to provide safe treatment for pediatric clients, what skills it takes to be present during each session, importance of trust, respect and rapport building, confidentiality awareness and methods for practitioner self-care.
Additionally, in some cases, a child in palliative care may transition to hospice care. In these instances, it is helpful for the practitioner to have examined their role as part of the pediatric hospice team. In the course, we will discuss hospice philosophy, end of life issues, tools for coping with the psychological impact of death, dying or loss, and how to work with children and families facing terminal illnesses.
Ms. Allen has trained numerous massage therapists, bodyworkers, physicians, neonatologists, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, child life specialists, and other integrative healthcare professionals who have gone on to provide pediatric massage therapy at some of the world’s leading medical institutions. She is delighted to offer this evidence based course, so that others may have the wonderful opportunity to provide massage therapy for children throughout the world community.
- Pediatric massage techniques and methodology
- Massage Technique Adaptations for children with special healthcare needs, medically complex diagnoses and those who are specifically in palliative/hospice care
- Current relevant massage research and how best to stay in touch with current research developments
- Benefits of pediatric massage for children in palliative and hospice care situations
- Understanding transition from pediatric palliative care to hospice care
- Examine your role as part of the pediatric palliative care and hospice team and how to become an integral part of a family-centered healthcare team
- Discuss hospice philosophy, end of life issues, tools for coping with the psychological impact of death, dying or loss
- Importance of building trust, establishing communication and rapport on an age appropriate level
- Considerations for providing massage therapy for children of all backgrounds, including cultural and spiritual considerations
- Medical, healthcare and parental consent considerations
- Learn new skills to be present, and in-the-moment, during each therapeutic session
- Self-care methods for practitioners providing treatment in the pediatric palliative and hospice care environment
- Enhance confidentiality and patient privacy
- Touch Therapy for Pediatric Palliative Care Guide (provided in class)
- Supervised Practical Experience: In-class hands on practice
- The exam is administered and graded to ensure full understanding of the material presented, and to give participants any additional guidance prior to completing the Touch Therapy for Pediatric Palliative Care course
Post Course Requirements::
- Required after course materials should be returned to master teacher for review within 6 months post-course completion date.
(more information provided during Course)
Provided After Course:
- After course mentoring personally provided by Tina Allen, Pediatric Massage Master Teacher
- Processing of CEH/CEU paperwork and certifications as applicable
Finally, an accredited pediatric massage and touch therapy program focusing on pediatric palliative and hospice care. This comprehensive program is designed for healthcare professionals who wish to expand their practice by providing massage therapy and nurturing touch for pediatric clients. The Liddle Kidz® Foundation Course is an intense, fun and effective way to master the core skills of pediatric massage.
Founded by Pediatric Massage Master Teacher and philanthropist Tina Allen, the Liddle Kidz® Foundation offers a new, comprehensive, research based pediatric massage training course and teaches students what they really need to know to provide pediatric massage.
Any experienced professional will tell you that there is a world of difference between learning how to massage a child from a book or DVD, and knowing how to provide the best care to meet a child’s needs, however, there are few opportunities to learn the skills they really need from a working healthcare professional who has provided pediatric massage education throughout the world.
When you are qualified in Touch Therapy for Pediatric Palliative Care, you have the special opportunity to impact a child and their family for a lifetime.
About the Trainer
Tina Allen, Founder and Director of the Liddle Kidz Foundation, is the premier expert and authority on infant and pediatric massage therapy. She is an internationally respected lecturer, educator, and award-winning author of the best selling book "A Modern Day Guide to Massage for Children”.
Ms. Allen managed the United States first comprehensive pediatric massage program and regularly provides consultation on the development of hospital based pediatric massage programs.
Her innovative approach to children’s health has allowed her the unique opportunity to train hospital staff, healthcare professionals, collaborate on research studies and integrate pediatric massage therapy into some of the world’s leading medical institutions.
She travels 365 days a year in a tour bus with her husband and their awesome son, sharing the benefits of nurturing touch!
Read Tina Allen’s Entire Biography
Learn more about our Pediatric Massage Hospital Based Program Initiatives
Tuition & Registration
Please see our Calendar for upcoming Training Dates and Registration Information.
- Two days of specialized comprehensive pediatric massage training
- In-class hands on practicum
- Touch Therapy for Liddle Kidz® in Palliative/Hospice Care Training Manual is included in your tuition
Who Should Attend
Health care professionals, professional massage therapists and body workers, parents and caregivers of children with specific medical conditions which may benefit from the use of massage therapy.
Continuing Education | CEH | CEU
The Liddle Kidz® Foundation has numerous massage, healthcare and professional allied healthcare approvals.
National Certification Board of Therapeutic Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB) | Continuing Education Approved Provider Number 450613-08
California Board of Registered Nursing | Provider Number 15018
Please visit our Continuing Education Approvals page for State, Provincial, National and International CE Approvals